North Hempstead enforces landscaping regulations
North Hempstead City officials are reminding residents and landscaping companies that the city’s landscaping codes were passed in 2019.
According to the regulations, commercial landscaping is not permitted on weekdays from 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., on Saturdays from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., and on Sundays and public holidays. These restrictions can be suspended in an emergency.
To reduce the noise and air pollution caused by gas-powered leaf blowers, commercial landscapers are prohibited from using gas-powered leaf blowers from June 15 to September 15.
There are no restrictions on golf courses and cemeteries unless the equipment is operated within 30 meters of a property of residence.
The supervisory authority set up a landscape advisory board in 2017 to help draft the new regulations and advise the city administration on landscaping issues. The city made it a priority to form a comprehensive committee to ensure a compromise between all interested parties.
The Landscaper Advisory Committee, which met several times over the course of a year, consisted of informed, passionate residents, environmental advocates, the President of the Nassau Suffolk Landscape Grounds Association, landscaping company owners, a gardener, and a landscaping equipment representative.
Further provisions in the “Landscaping and gardening” code:
· Leaves, grass and garden debris should not be deposited on public property or on the private property of another person.
· If leaves and clippings are removed from the construction site, this removal must be secured in the vehicle with a tarpaulin.
· No spillage or drainage of oil or gas products.
No burning of waste, leaves, cuttings, etc.
License Terms: Commercial landscapers must have a valid license issued by the Nassau County Office of Consumer Affairs.
o The commercial landscapers must also be approved by the town clerk.
o Applicants with receipts showing the purchase of 5 or more battery or electric landscaping equipment will be charged a fee but a reduced fee.
o If a landscaper is approved by a village in the city, it will be accepted.
o Suspension / revocation / denial of license.
· Incorrect information about the application, errors in issuing or non-compliance with regulations or laws can lead to the suspension or revocation of the license.
· One year waiting period for the renewed application for a license after revocation or refusal of the license.
o Penalties for violations include fines.
For more information, contact the city’s 311 call center.