Swimming pool landscaping ideas |
Backyard pools offer a way to cool off and enjoy luxury without having to travel. Backyard pools provided even more comfort and a welcome respite in 2020 as many public pools closed due to social distancing restrictions in place during the pandemic.
After installing pools, many homeowners realize that touching up the landscape around the pool can add the finishing touches to their backyard retreats. Not all landscapes are created equal, and homeowners should choose plants that look beautiful, are tolerant of pool splashes, and will not grow out of the area. The Home and Garden Resource Spruce notes that a plant attractive at two feet tall can grow quickly and drop leaves or other debris into the pool.
There are a few considerations to keep in mind when choosing pool design options:
- Choose plants that provide privacy.
- Before buying, know what climate a plant needs. Tropical plants might go well with the pool, but will they hold out when the season is over?
- Design on the theme of the house as plants should complement the existing style. Modern foliage may not go well with a home that is styled after a traditional English cottage.
- Decide whether you can accept spreading or trailing plants that can cascade over retaining walls and other infrastructure.
- Look at trees that don’t drop too many leaves, flowers, or fruit into the water.
- Remember to have layers of plants to soften the landscape, which can make a small pool look bigger and more luxurious, according to landscaping company Earth Development, Inc.
- Don’t overlook the possibility of a lawn abutting against paving stones or concrete against a pool, as this can soften the edges and keep spaces open and inviting.
- Include herbs or fragrant plants that can turn a pool day into a spa experience. Consider low-maintenance lavender as an option.
The pool design must combine a large number of different characteristics and plant requirements. As a result, professional advice can be the way to go. Landscape architects have the know-how to choose varieties of plants that are tolerant, beautiful, and meet the needs of homeowners.
Backyard pools can make a backyard retreat even more enjoyable. The landscaping offers the softness and beauty that add the finishing touch to poolside retreats.